Does a career in public relations interest you? If you have the necessary personality and people skills, you could make an amazing career as a public relations executive. The career choice is a competitive one, but the rewards involve rubbing shoulders with well-known personalities who you can interact with and create your own network someday! This blog will discuss all you need to know about building a public relations executive career, so stay tuned!
What is public relations?
Public relations refer to the process of creating and maintaining contact with potential clients, investors, and persons-of-interest on behalf of an organization or an individual. This has a lot to do with brand and image management as a PR profession involves an extensive use of social media and networking mediums.
What does a public reactions executive do?
A public relations executive is responsible to build and stay in contact with people that are important for their client’s reputation building. A public relations executive career involves streamlining communication between the influential personalities that help the business elevate itself, as well as establishing new channels of communication that may provide the business with more opportunities in the future.
Qualities of a public relations executive
A candidate interested in becoming a PR executive needs to display a range of skills that will serve them well in their career:
- Social and networking skills
- A polished personality
- Business etiquette
- Extensive knowledge pertaining to the designated industry
- Research skills
- Organization skills
- Empathy, tact, and negotiation skills
- Listening skills
- Writing skills
- A growth oriented mindset to face challenges and competition
- Presence of mind
Public relations executive eligibility criteria
To pursue a career as a public relations executive, one needs to complete their 10+2 examinations and acquire a degree in mass media or public relations. A candidate can acquire a higher ranking job in the PR industry by completing their PR Management course after their bachelor’s degree.
Options in a public relations executive career
As a public relations executive, you can work with several clients from varied industries. Contrary to popular belief, a PR career is not just meant for the entertainment industry. Any reputable business or personality is in need of a good PR executive and manager to handle their social interactions to make great connections and expand their potential for growth. You will find PR opportunities with great potential in:
- Popular business organizations
- Businessmen and businesswomen
- Politicians and political parties
- Production houses and celebrities
- Reputed universities
- Government organizations
Pros and cons of a public relations executive career
Just like every career opportunity, a career as a public relations executive has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, which are discussed below:
- Social media extensive.
- The potential to build an amazing network with influential personalities.
- The career line gets better with added experience and projects.
- There is not a boring day as a public relations executive.
- Unlimited potential for professional and personality development.
- There are an array of options in job opportunities.
- A PR professional will always be needed as long as business and media exist.
- Extremely competitive work environment.
- A public relations executive career can be highly stressful.
- Unpredictable working hours.
- There are several negative stereotypes attached to this career.
Universities to apply to for a successful career as a public relations executive in India
There are several colleges all over India that one could acquire a degree in Public Relations and Management to pursue a career as a public relations executive in India. Please keep in mind that applying for internships at PR agencies is a huge step that will also give you the experience you require to shape you as a successful PR executive. Please find the list of universities and colleges below for your reference:
- Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli
- Meteor Institute of Digital Design Studies (M.I.D.D.S.), Thane
- Centre for Image Management Studies, Noida
- Indian Institute of Journalism, New Delhi
- Institute of Marketing and Management, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (I.I.M.C.), New Delhi
- K.C. College of Management Studies, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Public Relations, New Delhi
- Cochin University: School of Management Studies, Kochi
- New Delhi Y.M.C.A. Centre for Mass Media, New Delhi
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan’s Sardar Patel College of Communication and Management, New Delhi
A career in public relations is ideal for those who love to socialize and network with people with business potential. It is a great choice for those who are skilled at social media and researching personalities. For more career options in the entertainment industry , refer to our career guides to get the entire rundown of the options available.
Interested in finding out more about the subjects raised on this page?
Simply click on the tags below to read related blog posts...